Monday, July 20, 2009

The Clean House

I have a strange relationship with the clean house. On the one hand, organized spaced make me feel calm and in control. On the other, I get tired of cleaning up the same messes repeatedly (like 6 times a day . . . ) And, I have this nagging feeling that people who always have a clean house don't have a life. You know, like, get a life! My busiest days are my messiest.

Recently, my beloved husband made a completely innocent comment about most people having clean houses and it really got me wondering . . . I claim that people just clean right before he gets there (just because that's what I do, he, he) . . . but maybe I'm decieving myself. Maybe I really am a slob. And maybe I really am lazy. I don't feel lazy or slobby.

Growing up, my mother always compared the status of her house to her neighbors: "So and sos dishes are always done." As a child, I really couldn't see the point. As an adult, I can see the temptation to do that but I have made a concerted effort to let it be. I mean, aren't there more important things about a person than to judge them based on if there are toys in their living room?

So what do you think? Do people let messes lie or do people really have tidy houses?

5 comments:

rabidrunner said...

Love hate relationship with clean house. Love it clean. Hate to clean it. Mostly because once I do clean, it's messed up with an hour.

I s'pose it's a matter of priorities. If it's a priority to have a clean house, then other things must come below it. Having fun, for example.

Amy said...

Ah, I use to have a much higher standard when I was a younger mom. I do love a clean house. I just don't like to do it! I think that there is a fine balance between the happy fun play time, the catch up on the computer/email time and the cleaning the house time. I don't think that they all have to be done to perfection. And I often wonder about those people who have a completely clean house all the time!! Don't they like any of the fun stuff in life?? I mean, heck, my house gets cleaned once a month right before my VT visit....isn't that why they started the VT program anyway??????d

Michelle said...

With four kids clean went out the window. I scurry around right before Neil gets home to make things look presentable, but I just can't keep up with all of the messes during the day. I've decided I really don't have anything to hide. I am beginning to think that most are just like me, they clean right before company comes over. Don't knock on my door in the middle of the day!

That being said a dirty house drives me crazy. I am a happier person when I have a clean house.

Rachael said...

I've always thought your house looks great - and I know I've seen it at times when you didn't prep before I came over. :)

I'm horribly obsessed with a clean house - and I blame it entirely on genetics. If my house is messy, I am NOT a happy person...

Ivan said...

Very few people keep a clean house. In fact, I would say that the only person who kept a clean house while her kids still lived there is my mother-in-law (that I've known anyway). But she vacuumed every day and did crazy stuff like that. Cleanest place you'll ever see. It's too hard to keep a clean house all the time with little kids (even my mother-in-law agrees with that statement). Not worth it.