Can you have two hometowns? Lately I've had a real hankering for Santa Clara. I don't know what it is about it, but the place really wound it's way into me. Last week we took a trip down to So. California (well, really Disneyland) and of course had to drive through St. George. It felt dead wrong to stay on the freeway and not get off. We watched the lit "D" and LDS temple pass by as if they were still strangers instead of familiar landmarks. And more than one person in the car remarked, "hey there's our town." Honestly, we didn't live there that long--how could this happen? The thing is, there were some things about it that we didn't like (blasted heat and cockroaches, to name a few) but some we did and it felt like home so quickly.
The thing is, I felt the SAME way when we moved back up here. What the . . . ? Am I just afflicted with a strong sentimental tug? I don't know, but it was like a breath of fresh air to be back with the mountains and crisp weather. Although, not LITERALLY a breath of fresh air because St. George has no air pollution and here, well . . . . But I mean, it felt like coming home.
To all my friends down south, I miss you more than you would believe even if I told you. To all my friends (and family) here, I am so undyingly grateful for your unbelievable kindness. I guess I'll just ride the roller-coaster of life--I'm bound to encounter more places and things that make me a sentimental fool.
Monday, April 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I feel the same way everytime we go down that way. I just want to pick up my stuff and move back!
Staci - it's so good to hear you say this. I feel exactly the same way about CT. Isn't it funny how your concept of home and where you belong can alter so quickly and your heart feels like it's left pieces of itself in so many places?
Post a Comment