Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What's so great about Jan. 20th?

It happens to be my birthday, but to the rest of the US, it is inauguration day. Every four years, as prescribed by the 20th amendment (there's that 20 again) we go through the ceremony on January 20th, on my birthday. I always thought it was kind of cool to have a birthday that is a date specifically mentioned in the constitution . . .

I generally refrain from talking about anything political on my blog. I find it hard to make a strong stand on most political issues--mostly because I feel that the limited information that I get from the media is hardly enough to make an informed decision. But there is one thing that has got me thinking.

All of this passion and fury surrounding this inauguration is outrageous. I mean, do we ever have street parties celebrating the shift of power IN OTHER COUNTRIES? Do we normally have the president of the United States in EVERY TABLOID magazine? Do people normally cry TEARS OF JOY over a political representative? And do Americans normally ask about the CLOTHING LABELS of politicians? Go ahead and call me bitter because I sorta like Bush--and I sorta think he should have someone celebrating him. But I can put together a solid case with solid evidence that people don't like Obama because he has brilliant policy ideas.

Nope people like him because he has become a celebrity.

Our nation (partly including me, I'll admit) is obsessed with celebrities and Obama fits the bill. Good looking. Check. Young. Check. Fashionable. Check. Charismatic. Check. Pretty family. Check. Oh yeah, and he also does know a little bit about public policy--but I couldn't tell you how much so he doesn't get a check.

The one thing that I am happy about right now is that Obama is trying to infuse some hope into the American people. All his rhetoric is about realism but hope, "we will persevere," kind of stuff. And I think (get ready because here is a real opinion) that at this time, giving all of us hope and perspective could in and of itself do a lot to fix some of the economic problems.

3 comments:

Carla said...

I have to agree because I have also been wondering since when did our president become a celebrity that has the paparazzi following him everywhere?

Heather said...

Amen...to all mentioned! The greatest American president ever?...um if I remember correctly, he hasn't done anything yet.

rabidrunner said...

That deserves an applause! Also... when I woke up on the 20th I remembered it was your birthday and not inauguration day.