Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I ran a 50k!

On a whim, my friends and I decided to run the inaugural Red Mountain 50k. (For those of you who aren't metric, that's 31 miles.) We didn't get too much training in but the race ended up being fun anyway. I use the term "race" very loosely as we really didn't have that same race feeling. In fact, we stopped and took pictures, ate peanut butter sandwiches, and changed shoes. It was a very unique running experience.

The course was beautiful--half on a trail and half on a gorgeous road--but not easy. By the last two miles, I was feeling like it was a death march. Good thing it was down hill. Don't ask me my time because I won't tell you but I'm proud to say that I wasn't the last person done. Plus, if you knew my time, you would think I ran slow, which I didn't. It just took forever. If anyone ever feels the urge to try out a "short" ultramarathon, I would definitely recommend this one.


The start: our claim to fame is that our friend Kerry, on the far right, won the race.
L-R: Cassidy, TJ, Lisa, Staci, Kay, Liisa, Kerry.


At the top of the mountain. Whew, I was so glad to be there after almost 6 miles of climbing.
L-R: Staci, Kay, TJ, Lisa, Liisa, Cassidy


Scenery on the run.


Finally running downhill. That's the back of me and Liisa.


Can you read the sign?


Running past Gunlock reservoir.




Liisa and Cassidy


At the finish line. We didn't all finish together but we weren't far apart.
L-R: Staci, Kay, Lisa, Cassidy, Liisa, TJ (and his cute babe who ran part of the race with us in his jogging stroller)

Thank you Kay for dragging your camera with you on the race and taking all these pictures. I am so grateful.

2 comments:

rabidrunner said...

Sweet! That sounds fun... maybe next year? BTW - I knew you wouldn't be last, 'cause you're just plain awesome.

Rachael said...

All I can say - it looks really painful. Wow! Now...why were you doing this? What was the cause? I hope it was for major $$$ or a terrific cause because that was one feat I'll never be attempting in this life. Congrats to you Staci girl!!