Monday, April 7, 2008

Love the Place You Live

It's officially been almost a year since we made the BIG MOVE to our current residence. (Can something 'almost' really be official? Well . . .) Really, we didn't go all that far--just a four hour drive--but sometimes it feels like worlds away. To give all of our friends and family a taste of what it is like here, I have created a list of Southern Utah's unique characteristics.

(Caveat: My opinions may be tainted by my neighborhood, religion, or acquaintences and are not intended to be offensive. This is how it feels to me.)

YOU KNOW YOU LIVE IN ST. GEORGE WHEN:

1. you need 4 wheel drive to get to the neighborhood campout.
2. you know everyone at the grocery store and they're all related somehow.
3. the library closes at 5:00.
4. your kids come in from playing in the mud and they are red (try to get THAT out of a white t-shirt.)
5. you see entire stores dedicated to cowboy boots.
6. "cold" is 40 degrees.
7. "hot" is too hot.
8. your co-worker asks you if you have been to the Temple yet.
9. there are no public pools but every other house has one in the backyard.
10. you see polygamists at Wal-mart
11. half the valley is preserved for the desert tortoise which NO ONE has ever seen.
12. you are surrounded by friendly, helpful people at every turn.

4 comments:

rabidrunner said...

I should move down there.

Here's where I got my blogger template (there are many to choose from):
http://www.eblogtemplates.com/

Instructions for installing it are on the left hand frame.

Rachael said...

"almost a year" - uh...Staci you're about 4 months off. I'm still waiting for my 1 yr mark and it's not until next month :)

Staci said...

Nah, we moved here the beginning of June. When I wrote this, I we moved in May. Two months off at the most. "Almost" is relative anyway; we moved here in the summer and now summer is starting again.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Impressora e Multifuncional, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://impressora-multifuncional.blogspot.com. A hug.