Monday, December 7, 2009

We Love Chest

The other day Nicolas and I were playing a rousing game of chess whilst Alisa looked on collecting the killed pieces. Alisa calls it "chest." I don't know why I was playing chess with a 6 year old--quality time? Or more likely . . . that's about my chess level. He is catching on to how each piece moves and how to look ahead a few moves. He instinctively plays very defensively by building up barriers around the king and protecting each piece. He's not very proactive about killing . . . there has got to be some sort of psychological cues to him in that. I don't now . . . self preservation, I guess.

Anyway to get on with the story, as Alisa collected our pieces she would line them up or set them up in formation for parties or whatever and they would talk to each other (typical girl--turns chess pieces into dolls.) Later, I heard her say that they were at church (I'm sure you can see what's coming) but I wasn't really paying attention. Soon though, I looked over and she had all the pieces on one side of the piano bench in a group while one piece was on the other side facing the group. It was a church congregation. It just so happened that the piece that was facing the rest was, of course, THE BISHOP. She must have been listening to us pretty carefully to figure out which piece was the bishop. Very perceptive.

2 comments:

Rabid said...

We should get our kids together for some Chest. My younger refers to the pawns and "ponds."

somestratt said...

That is so cute! I love kids stuff like that.