I have really been trying to resume my old running habit. It's been harder this time than with either of the other two pregnancies. My body feels really old. OLD. Nothing works the same as it did when I was younger. I can finally run 3 miles without stopping and it's not too bad but three miles seems like it takes so long. No one to talk to. If you can chat it up during a run, the miles fly faster. Sometimes I really wonder if I will ever get it back. So, in order to feel good about myself, I have come to two alternative purposes for running (as opposed to losing weight/fitness or training for a race):
1) A chance to get away. Most days it is literally the only 30 minutes that I have to myself without short people asking me for something. (BTW-why do kids always feel the need to ask you for something? Can't they be content?) There is a pretty paved trail that is one street over from my house. It runs along the Jordan River and rural parts of Lehi. For right outside my door, it's pretty great.
2) A good example for my kids. Even if I am not some sort of fitness princess, at least I am trying and my kids notice. They are learning that being active is part of life. Alisa will don this huge toy watch she has (a la my Garmin GPS watch) and say, "I am going running. I'll be back in a few minutes." Then she'll run up and down the hills in the backyard and go around the house. I love it. Nicolas is more into biking. The other day we struck out to go for a walk and ended up running home from a wind storm. He was on his bike and I had the stroller. The baby was screaming from the cold and wind and Alisa was covering her face. When we finally made it back to the house I said, "Well, that didn't turn out so good." Nicolas' reply was, "Are you kidding? That was great!"
As a side note, I went to buy deodorant the other day and since I was shopping with a 5 year old, 3 year old and 2 month old, I grabbed the first scent that didn't look like it would be flowery smelling. When I got home, I notice that it was labeled "sport" with the slogan, "marathon fresh scent." Hmmm, I really wondered what marathon fresh scent would smell like. I can't think of anything during a marathon that smells fresh. Were they referring to the Ben Gay that people rub on their knees, or the coffee most people drink to try to wake up at 4:00 am, or (heaven forbid) the porta potties, or fire smoke (in the case of St. George)? As you can guess, it doesn't smell anything like a marathon. That is some weird marketing.
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
3 miles was good for me
Post a Comment