And as for me, I had fun too. It is just so blasted hot there! It was definitely Mexico . . . people trying to swindle you, some really trashy neighborhoods, spanish, everyone wanting tips, etc. But really, you can't find too much to complain about on a vacation to Cancun. It's beautiful--just like pictures. So get ready for my own barrage of pictures. Only . . . be forgiving with the swim suit photos; I am 4 1/2 months pregnant.
This is the only picture we have of the beach at our hotel. We loved just hanging out reading and doing crossword puzzles.
This is the first Mayan city we visited. It is named Tulum and is the only one they know of that is on the ocean. I'm telling you, it was so hot there that I thought my hair would fall out.
Tulum
Tulum
Tulum--after looking at the ruins, we were able to go swim in the beach below to cool off and check out the ruins from the water (as the Spanish invaders would have seen it.)
Diego on the ferry over to Isla Mujeres.
Diego in the water at Isla Mujeres. This little island was maybe our least favorite place we visited. But it seemed to be a place where a lot of locals went for a day trip.
Our second Mayan city, Chichen Itza. This was the most massive set of ruins I have ever seen. Much bigger than anything I ever saw in Israel (althought granted this was probably created in 400 AD and nothing was ever built over it.) It is just a huge city. There were so many carved stones and rocks that they didn't even know where they all went and were piled up in piles and people were just sitting on them. Strange place. Once again, it was really, really hot. I had to sit down every so often because I thought I was going to faint.
This is the tallest/biggest building in the complex. Of course, the temple. I think this is the side that was restored.
Chichen Itza--you can see the jungle creeping in in the background.
Chichen-Itza--we took so many pictures that I wasn't even sure what to post.
Chichen Itza
Chichen Itza--check out those carvings
Chichen Itza--this is the astronomy tower. You know, how the Mayans were really big into astronomy and calendaring.
This is a shot of the bay at Akumal where we snorkeled and swam with sea turtles. There were really a lot of them (I was skeptical that we would really see them as advertised.) We also saw a stingray, lots of colorful fish and some coral. It wasn't the prettiest reef but the turtles made up for it.
Well, those are some of the highlights. We didn't take pictures of everything but it sure seemed like a lot. Thanks to our parents for helping us with this trip. Who knows when we will be able to do something like this again.
1 comment:
Wow! Wow! Staci - what an amazing trip! I'm so jealous! I was there so long ago and loved the ruins.
And you look fabulous! Not at all close to the pregnancy level you're talking about :)
Post a Comment