Friday, July 11, 2008

Family Anecdotes

So this morning, around 10:30 my kids and I were sitting on our front porch eating popsicles, green ones. Two minutes later, two neighbors walked by. After the customary greetings, one of them remarked to me,"Wow, popsicles at 10 in the morning. Already." As I looked at their retreating backs my mind was a blank. Is there some popsicle eating rule that I'm not in on? Is it out of the ordinary to eat popsicles in the morning? It certainly was hot . . . at least 100 degrees . . . and the calories consumed in a popsicle are negligible (only about 20.) It was hard not to feel bad about the popsicle after that. After all, I suppose all of my other neighbors are abstaining from popsicle consumption until later in the day.

Yesterday Nicolas brought me a paper punch that had Christmas characters on it: a Christmas tree, angel, Santa, star, etc. He asked me if I could help him punch out some of the things. I said sure, of course, because I am such a fine, attentive mother, and sat down with him and some paper. I asked him which one he wanted first. He said he wanted the super hero. Pause, pause, pause. As I looked at the paper punch, I just started laughing. He thought the angel was a super hero. That's called a one-track mind.

Last night, Nicolas asked me if a big pizza makes you stop. It took me a long time of thinking before I responded. "WHAT?" Some of you more in tune parents might have actually understood what this meant. Any guesses? After he repeated the question a few times, he said, "you know, when you are skiing." Ohhhhhh. Like the snow plow. I get it. Wow, it's amazing what context does.

And just for fun, here's a picture of the kids chalk painting. Sorry Alisa is naked.



7 comments:

Prentiss said...

Ohh, your kids are so cute (and smart!) And no, there is nothing wrong with popsicles at 10 in the morning! Wow, those neighbors would think I was especially crazy if they saw me drinking a diet coke at 9 in the morning! :)
How is your running going?

somestratt said...

I have two questions. Why wait until 10:00 for the good stuff. Start your day off with treats that is my motto.

And what does a pizza a snow plow and having to stop have in common? That one went way over my head.

Great to find your blog Staci. I really enjoyed reading your posts.

Brent

Rachael said...

What's with your neighbors? I hate those kinds of comments that just leave a bitter aftertaste in your mouth and keeps you second guessing at what their original intent. My charitable side says they didn't know what to say so they just said the first dumb thing that popped into their heads. But the impulsive side of me is telling you next time to yell back something insulting. Can't bring to mind what that would be yet exactly - but I'll post again if I get it :)

rabidrunner said...

Maybe your neighbors are members of "Popsiclolics Anonymous". Next time ask them about the 12 step program for getting rid of the popsicles.

Rachael said...

Okay, okay - talked to Greg and we came up with a comeback for you. Next time the "popsicle police" come by you can yell back,

"We're all out of cold beer"

They'll never really know if you're serious or kidding...then we'll see who keeps second guessing themselves :)

Staci said...

Brent--sorry, the pizza comment comes from teaching a kid how to ski. They call the beginner position the snowplow but we tell them it's a pizza because that's easier to remember.

Thanks all for the popsicle support. If only the neighbors knew I had brownies for breakfast . . .

Heather said...

I can totally relate to the popsicles in the morning thing. Harrison lives on Otter Pops these days...and yes, that's what he wants for breakfast most days...so I say go for it...silly neighbors..they don't know what they're missing!