Tuesday, December 11, 2007

UNBLOGGER

"Hubby" here. Ouch...did I say that? Funny how 'maybe she writes about interesting stuff' ended up meaning 'you write about lame stuff.' Now, to your credit Staci, at least you got me to respond!

Which brings me to your comment about being COOL. I just cannot get into this blogging thing. It’s obviously the IN thing to do and this is my first ever blog entry. In fact, I only recently learned (from Staci) that ‘blog’ stands for 'web log.' WOW say ‘web log’ three times fast and its easy to see why they changed it to 'blog.'

Let me justify my lame UNBLOGGER attitude. Here are some reasons why I don’t blog.

1) I’m an antagonist. If everyone else is doing it, then that is just one more reason not to do it.
2) A web log sounds too much like a journal. I already have a hard enough time with that. Also, I’m not crazy about publishing my thoughts to the whole world. I will keep working on the idea of having my children read my journal, then I will slowly work towards blogging. Is slow synonymous with uncool?
3) I would be too concerned that my blogs would offend. I already have to be careful of how I word things all day long. That is just the mode I get into when I write. Lets just say that it is much easier for me to think before I write than it is to think before I speak. Speaking is much more liberating and enlightening.
4) Writing is too biased and permanent. Take the ‘maybe she writes about interesting stuff’ comment. First of all, I’m not totally sure that I really said those words (although I do remember the conversation). Second, tone and emotion can be totally misunderstood in written communication. Now, don’t get me wrong…I love to read and even write, but written communication is a bit limited for some situations.
5) I can’t wait a day or days for someone to respond to my thoughts. I am a here and now kind of person.
6) Luckily Staci lets me bend her ear. I can philosophize, debate, and keep myself sane all without making a fool of myself to the world and misspelling my whole way through it.

Well now that I got that out of my system maybe I’ll probably start blogging regularly.

2 comments:

rabidrunner said...

Mr Caroll, all of your points are valid. I do have a comment on the journal aspect of blogging. I too am uncomfortable with the whole idea of writing all of my thoughts so that others can read it. In fact, when I write in a journal, I have this feeling that it needs to be secret. In the blog world, it forces you to think twice about what you write so as you don't write anything you will later regret. I read my journal from high school not too long ago and I regret writing most of it! But then that was another life altogether.

There is this thing called "friends who live more than 200 miles away" category that you forgot to mention in your list of lists. Those of us miles away can login to your blog, read it, make a comment or two and somehow feel like we're still connected to "friends who live more than 200 miles away."

Blog on dude.

Rachael said...

Diego - for all the professionalism and tact in your post, I actually think what you said about Staci was sweet. But I'm probably inserting a 'tone' you might not have implied and in so doing justified your point entirely :)

And I agree with RabidRunner - General Authorities talk about going back years and years from now and delighting in journals of yesteryears and the growth we see in ourselves. Honestly, my old journals sometimes make me want to throw myself off a bridge or bury my head in the sand to escape such horrid embarrassment. Blogs help you keep things in perspective (although don’t necessarily save you from humiliation).