Thursday, August 30, 2012

Living an Intentional Life

So, I have been feeling this pull lately; just this pull to write and express myself. This is mostly in hopes of trying to figure out what I truly want and what makes me truly happy. Sometimes that's hard for me. I don't know if other people feel this way too but for me a lot of my life follows the path of least resistance. I tend to take the easiest course instead of making intentional directions. That's a fine way to live except that I think there might be more inside of me screaming to come out if I will just listen.

Sometimes I actually think about myself and start to get panicky because I remember a time when I felt like I was good at quite a few things....maybe not everything but I had a general feeling of competence. And then I constrast that now with my mountain of evidence of mediocrity and wonder what happened along the way. But it's my own fault. It's not circumstantial. I let it get that way.

One part of me that I miss is writing: putting complete thoughts into words that convey an idea. It used to be such a commonplace thing in my life but "stay-at-home mom" doesn't require that. So I have let that part of me go. This is one part of my life that I have chosen to be intentional. I am not just going to bump into it or come across it; I will create it.

I have chosen my blog as my forum not because I think many people will read what I write, but because I can pretend that they do which I think will make me accountable. We'll see, huh.

2 comments:

Rabid said...

These are some great thoughts. I, too, am going through something similar. My life is full of all these "shoulds" that are placed in my path of least resistance; shoulds that others (culture, church, family, friends, etc.) have decided are most important for me to do -- or, realistically, shoulds that I've let them decide are the most import for me.

I read this when you first posted it but kept it unread in my blogger reader and have read it a few times. You're a great egg (not just a good egg.) I quite like you. And find you nothing short of spectacular (hint: spectacular is way better than mediocre!)

I just read this, however, and thought it was worth sharing.

http://www.marcandangel.com/2012/09/05/11-ways-successful-people-start-their-mornings/

It's so simple, yet so difficult... (for me anyway...)

Rachael said...

Evidence of mediocrity? Show me this mountain - because I think a lot of it is just our own internal beast telling us we're inadequate. You are amazing - someone I admire so much and treasure the times we lived near each other.

Keep these updates going. I miss seeing you.