I have a problem. It's a serious problem. It's a sock problem. Seriously. I have a problem with socks.
I hate folding the little buggers. Actually, I hate MATCHING and folding them. I just don't see the point of it. So much time for such little return. You know because I get so much more fulfillment out of the rest of the laundry. Who am I kidding.
But the socks . . . I just can't get around it. I can go months without folding a single sock. I'll just pile them up in a basket and expect family members to dig through them until they can find a pair. It probably isn't kind. It's kinda like how I expect my kids to get their own stinkin' water. But that is a different story.
One time, a pregnant friend of mine asked me how to make sure that the little newborn socks didn't get stuck in the washing machine. I replied, "buy all white." And I was serious. Finding errant pairs are just not a high priority for me.
After my last baby, my mother was helping me with the laundry. When she saw my sock pile, she gasped. Audibly gasped. I told her sometimes I just buy more instead of folding them. (I was only halfway kidding.)
But the really pathetic thing . . . the thing that really puts me above the rest . . . is that I brought my sock problem with me when I moved. I mean, even when cleaning out an entire house I couldn't bring myself to match socks and instead schlepped the entire 5 lbs of unfolded socks with me.
A couple of weeks after we moved in, I found my husband in the laundry room surrounded by an explosion of socks. He was going through them and folding the darn things. As if he didn't have enough to do.
So after he took care of the initial load of socks, I vowed to keep abreast of the socks and fold them right as they came out of the dryer. But the temptation is so great to just go ahead and throw them in the basket.
Anyway, now that I have revealed to you one of my darkest secrets, I feel so much better about myself. I mean, if unfolded socks is all I've got, then I can't be doing too bad.
Friday, February 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I have a handful of stray socks I think I will sneak into your pile just to make things worse when you try to fold them again.
I LOVE it! You are hilarious. Brent finally came up with a system that works pretty well. We just buy a good dozen of the same exact sock for each person, and then the matching is nothing. Then, when they start wearing out, you just trash them all and go for a dozen new again. I must admit. I am the only one with "fun" socks :)
Do you know what Conrad does? He has a lingerie bag for each child's socks, you know the meshy bag for washing stuff. The kids put their dirty socks in the lingerie bag, then the bag -- with socks inside -- gets washed and dried that way. Now, here's the kicker: Once the socks are dry, they go directly into the sock drawer! When the kids need a pair of socks, they find a match themselves by digging in the lingerie bag. I suppose you could do the same for each of your kids, but you'd be finding the matches for one of them.
Is that genius or what? I'm going to start doing that.
This was a fantastic post by the way.
Yeah! What a great idea. Seriously. It seems so obvious.
Sorry to be cryptic. I am talking about the lingerie bag.
Post a Comment